Living In Joy

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Construction

I regularly travel one particular stretch of Interstate 40 to get into town. For the past many months, in an effort to complete a new ramp and overpass from I-40 to Briley Parkway, construction crews have dominated about an eighth of a mile of my commute. Sometimes, lanes are blocked. Most of the time, orange cones and signs warn that the speed limit has been reduced, and traffic slows but continues to move through the bottleneck.
I never paid much attention to what the workers were doing, though once in awhile, I’d sigh and think how I wish the crews would finish. Yesterday, however, I was struck with awe. Overnight, it seemed, after what felt like nearly a year of digging and working, the ramp and overpass were practically finished! Really! I had seen nothing I would call progress, (unless you count the dustbowl they had successfully created), though men, women and heavy machinery were always present. Then, wham-o! An exit from the highway, a wide, concrete road virtually placed in the sky, and a new access to the west and north parts of Nashville were created. And of course, it couldn’t have happened had crews not been working on all of the foundational pieces for seasons before now.
I thought, at that moment, what a lovely metaphor for life that highway is. As a goal and vision oriented individual, I often feel like the things I’m doing, the tasks that demand my time, aren’t contributing to any real progress. During those times, I’m sometimes frustrated, often exhausted. Other times, my life seems to propel me toward my goals so quickly that I feel excited and amazed.
I wonder if we can ever get to the point where we have such a clear vision of where we want to be that we are as happy with the “ground work,” as we are with the obvious leaps we make forward. Wouldn’t that be exactly what it means to “enjoy the journey” as much as the destination? Can we learn to give ourselves credit for the days we spend on tasks that lay the foundation for our dreams? Like, when I’m changing my diet so that I’m eating healthier foods, but I don’t lose any weight, can I let go of the disappointment and discouragement and realize that I’ve made good, healthy choices, choices that one day will result in my looking and feeling great, choices that guarantee my optimal health and well-being? (I am reminded of all of the “overnight success” stories that, when really analyzed, are the result of years of learning, practice and preparation.)
It would seem that the parts of our lives that are not the most visible to passers-by are the very things that position us to succeed. And perhaps, the next time I’m in the middle of creating my own little dust bowl, seemingly making little progress, I’ll be able to have faith in the fact that I’m diligently building the foundation for my own road, creating access to the western or northern parts of my life’s dreams.
The Living in Joy Challenge: For at least this week, each time you think, “Ugh… I don’t want to do this,” ask yourself, “What foundation does this activity build for a greater vision I have for my life?” Does it help ensure health and safety (like scrubbing and cleaning do)? Does it provide you an opportunity to practice courage or humility (like some jobs do)? Does it give you the chance to review your financial position and make decisions about how you want that to look (like paying bills can)? Take heart. Have faith. Know that the tasks you face are one piece of the larger picture and that, soon, the results will pop-up in front of you. Seemingly overnight. Wham-O! I’ll look forward to hearing how you do. J

1 comment:

  1. Oh how I enjoying reading your words and learning how to apply the encouragement to my life. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete