Living In Joy

Sunday, March 13, 2011

One Bite

I have said, “yes,” too many times… I am overwhelmed. Perhaps you can relate.
I am on committees, taking courses, and working as a nurse full-time. I have editing deadlines, speaking engagements, and social obligations. I’m managing a household, maintaining a vehicle, and watching my waistline. And my prayer life has pared itself down to, “Dear Jesus, HELP!” Each of these things require my full attention and my creativity, but it’s very difficult to be creative when I’m looking for my keys half the time and trying to find my cell phone the other half. I don’t know how you operate when you are overwhelmed, but I find myself becoming what my father would have called, “Squirrely.” I’m easily distracted, forgetful, and scattered. I think about all of the things I have to do, but I can’t seem to get started on any of them. Or, I get started, then get distracted and start something else, and nothing gets finished. Sometimes I concentrate on tasks, like scrubbing the toilet or going to the grocery, just to get something off of my list. All the while, I feel exhausted and long for nap time. 
In an effort to become “inspired,” to at least work on any one of my self-imposed obligations, I re-read some of my goals for this year.  All of my goals feel like demands, now.  They feel like one more place for me to fail, which doesn’t feel good at all! I have to say, I’m not very connected to my joy at this moment.
I know some of you are in this same position, or worse, with children and husbands and ill parents, in addition to a To-Do list at least as full as mine, also demanding your full attention. And what, pray-tell, will get us back to our joy in these moments of disarray? I understand the principle of eating an elephant one bite at a time… starting a journey with a single step… one dripping faucet makes over a gallon of water per day (which reminds me, I really need to get that fixed…), but I just don’t trust that it will work. And then, I hear my mother’s voice. “One bite…”
When I was little, and going through that period that every child must endure, that of eating the dreaded green vegetable, my mother would coach me. “One bite,” she would say. “Then take a sip of milk.” Eventually, my plate was clean, and my childhood obligations were met for the day.
It’s time to scale my goals down to bite-sized pieces. The key, however, to the whole thing may be to add milk. Something to help wash everything down. Finish two slides for the rallies. Then make a cup of chai. Edit four pages of the book. Then take a walk in the sun. Search for 5 references for my research project, and stretch. Find the advancement website and print the application, then meditate. Some progress. That’s what I need. Just some. I have to take smaller bites. I have to give myself credit for the progress, the journey. Ah… that feels better already. Two slides… I can do that.
When you are overwhelmed, take smaller bites. Still too much? Make them smaller, yet. And, find your sip of milk. Take heart. Have faith in the process. It works. You know? I actually love broccoli, now.
Living in Joy Challenge:  Where do you feel overwhelmed right now? What goal, written or just nagging in the back of your mind, do you have that you are feeling pressing on you? Shrink it. Cut it into bite-sized pieces. You don’t need the whole plan, yet. Just one little effort. One thing for one day. And a sip of milk. Let me know how it goes. J  

No comments:

Post a Comment