Living In Joy

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Mother's Day

Happy Mother’s Day
… for only a Mother’s love is sufficient to change little girls into princesses.

This is the photo and caption I have on my bathroom wall, where I get ready to face my day every morning.  It’s a Polaroid snapshot from Christmas 1970, and reminds me of a time when my mother sewed my clothes. As you can see by this photo, for holidays she would make our outfits to match. Mine was slightly different, made for a little girl instead of fitted for a woman, but I felt beautiful, and special, and grown-up, like mommy.
Now, when I look at that photo of my mom in her early 20’s, so pretty, gracious and loving, I am reminded that I come from her. I am, in so many ways, still dressed like her. I share her attitudes, her outlook, her manner of speaking. I learned what I know of loving, of working hard, and of being a lady from watching her. I grew to trust myself, others and this world, because I could trust her.
On this Mother’s Day, I want to celebrate all of the mothers, like mine, who allow us to adopt their most positive attributes and wear them proudly. And though my version of what I wear:  my smile, my disposition, my kindness… may vary slightly from hers, I know that it has been only through her encouragement, her example and her willingness to teach me and continue learning, that I have been able to truly enjoy the riches of this life and to feel utterly spoiled by its offerings… like a princess.
Happy Mother’s Day! To mothers, daughters and sons who will celebrate this relationship, today.
Living In Joy Challenge: I know that some of you are not able to talk to or visit with your mother, right now. Celebrate, anyway. Celebrate what she taught you of loving yourself and this life. Celebrate the best she ever gave you by example or deed. Take one day to remember your own remarkable qualities and recognize the part she played in helping you become yourself. Enjoy! J

No comments:

Post a Comment