Living In Joy

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Resources: Part 3 - Your Home

“Home is where the heart is.”
 The sentiment is an old one, first penned by Pliny the Elder (23-79 A.D.). It’s not difficult to imagine that he, a naval commander of the Roman Empire, may have been longing to feel safe and loved, just as we do now. However, while I freely acknowledge and celebrate that any location filled with the comfort of friends and family can make a person feel “at home,” I also believe that the physical structure of your Home plays its own part in comforting your heart. As physical beings, our surroundings, though material in nature, can have a profound effect on our ability to remain in contact with our joy. How much ambient noise there is, how soft or hard the flooring, how fluffy the pillows, how open the kitchen, how light the rooms… all of these things count toward making our Home part of the best life we can imagine.
Can you define what “captures your heart” or makes you comfortable in a home? Unfortunately, some of us spend time wishing for bigger houses without really giving any thought to what makes a Home comfortable to us. This week, I want to offer you some resources for making your house more “Homey.”
First: Decide what you like and what says, “Home,” to you. What pieces do you already have that you will never live without? What artwork, dishes, or home-made pieces make you smile, every time you see or touch them? Walk around your current house. Take your time looking around. Pay attention to the place you naturally spend the most time. What do you like about that space? What do you not like?
Next: Consult the experts. There are some pretty simple “rules,” about what feels good to most people in the way of positioning furniture, setting your lighting, etc. www.interiorholic.com is a favorite website for rules and inspiration. When in doubt, contact a decorator. You don’t have to be rich to have a consultation. Experienced, trained decorators can walk into a room and almost immediately see what it needs to feel warmer, more livable, or more “user-friendly.” At $85-$150 per hour, having them come into your home and give you some ideas of how to achieve your “homey feeling” is a lot cheaper than buying the wrong couch. Just set the timer, so you can stay within your budget, and take lots of notes.
After That: Rearrange, paint or shop, as needed. I like to browse the big furniture stores and then check www.craigslist.com to see if I can any favorite items cheaper. Also, don’t forget your discount stores like Ross, Marshall’s, or TJ Maxx. I have found some of the most fabulous pieces for a little bit of nothing at these places. And, if you’re contemplating a large purchase, be patient and wait for a sale.
Finally: Live in your Home. There is something about food on the stove and in the refrigerator that makes your house feel different. Invite people over. Sit on your furniture and read or visit. It wasn’t until I invited people over to the apartment I live in now that I realized I was missing some important pieces. I didn’t have adequate seating, and I didn’t have anything, like the throw pillows I like so much, that felt welcoming. As it turns out, I needed those things as much for myself as for my company. And finally, nearly a year after moving-in, I recognize my apartment as my Home. Why? Because now it is what I expect a home to be: a welcoming environment for me and my friends.
 Have fun, and enjoy your Home!

2 comments:

  1. Once again, you've hit a nerve of mine. As a child who grew up in a violent and abusive home, the best way to cope was to stay in my room as much as possible. It was my safe place. Today, I have a wonderful life, but I still think of my home as my safe place. It gives me comfort. Of course, the foundation is my most amazing husband who always makes me feel loved and protected, but the physical environment is very important. I am a nester who is constantly trying to improve it and make it more "homey".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your nesting shows, Sam. You have a knack for it... not only do you make it homey for yourself and your family, but for all of us who are fortunate enough to be invited into your comfortable place. You have mastered the perfect balance between warm environment and the heart of a home.

    ReplyDelete