Living In Joy

Sunday, December 11, 2011

Resources, Part 4 - Your Health

Resources: Part 4 – Health
When it comes to my physical health, proper diet and exercise, I struggle. It’s not the lack of knowing what to do. Essentially, maintaining physical health boils down to three things: physical activity, nutrition, and proper rest. The rest part I get. What about activity and nutrition? I know I should walk and stretch and run and play. I know I should eat fresh produce and lean protein sources. I don’t. and I don’t know why it feels so difficult to me. As for Health Resources then, I can only tell you some of the things that periodically help me stay on track, admit to you that I struggle, and ask you to also share your resources with me.
First, let me start by saying that I absolutely relate to Elizabeth Gilbert’s summary of her relationship to calories. Enjoy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZY86k2NjTY for a little perspective. (In case you are a man reading this, just know that no woman will “ask you to leave” either.) As it turns out, we are really the only ones cruelly measuring ourselves against Victoria’s Secret and Guess jean models. If I had a friend who talked to me the way I talk to myself when I look in the mirror after my shower, I’d ditch her and eat an entire pint of Haagen Dazs in protest.
Next, I like this quote by nutritionist Adele Davis: “Every day, you do one of two things: build health or produce disease in yourself.” I have aced college courses on anatomy and physiology, pharmacokinetics, and nutrition. You would think I would have known this. For some reason, though, the statement Ms. Davis makes is so inflexible that it immediately changed how I viewed my responsibility to my own health. I lived on the premise that I was either doing something good for me, or I wasn’t. I had never thought, until reading this, “I’m either doing something that is good for me, or I am actively producing disease. There is no neutral.” 
I also like the incredible book series, “Eat This, Not That,” (Zinczenko & Goulding). If you haven’t seen these books, find them! The authors have investigated fast food restaurants, children’s favorites, the frozen food isle, even our own cupboards, to help direct us to the “best” food choices. These books are of the, “If you are going to eat a burger and fries (which you know, at some point, I am going to do), eat THIS burger and fries,” variety. Accept my own preferences, and make better choices. Brilliant!
My last resource, but perhaps the most powerful, is a lesson in treating the whole mind, body and spirit with care and respect. Carolyn Myss’s, “Anatomy of the Spirit,” (http://www.myss.com) can be a pretty heavy exploration into metaphysical concepts like chakras and archetypes, so they’re not for everyone. However, if you can relate on any level to the phrase, “You are what you think,” then her work, founded on years of study and research, shouldn’t be missed.    
I am absolutely positive that my continuing to Live in Joy will be easier with the aid of a healthy, strong and flexible body. These resources help me, but they haven’t yet made me jump out of bed when my alarm sounds at 5am and rush to the gym. If any of you have solutions or things that motivate you, please do share. And, as always, have a wonderful, healthful week!  

No comments:

Post a Comment