Living In Joy

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Resources Part 6: Spirituality

If you’ll remember, before the holidays, we were investigating resources for our seven major life areas. I hope you’ve enjoyed some of the other resources I’ve shared and they’ve been useful. As we talk about Spirituality, the best I can do is share what I do, when I’m feeling much too tied to the physical world around me and I notice that all I’ve been trying to do is run faster, work harder, worry about money more, fuss in traffic…
I continue to espouse that “Living in Joy,” means thoroughly experiencing and enjoying this life, this playground-world, this land of opportunity to live absolutely anything we choose. However, there is no denying that, sometimes, it feels like life is just one brick wall, one pitfall, one chore, challenge or frustration after another. What happens when I’m fully invested in my five senses and they are all telling me I’m over-tired and under-appreciated? That is when I remember that I am, however mysteriously, more than this body and mind, more than these five senses. There is some part of me from where courage, peace within chaos, and inspiration come. That, my dear friends, is Spirituality. My five senses may be dulling with age, but my spirit is still vibrant, if I can just feed it, feel it and allow it to run loose through me. So, here are my three favorite strategies:
Be Quiet. William Penn said, “True silence is rest of the mind. It is to the spirit what sleep is to the body: nourishment and refreshment.” So, part of feeding my spirit may be silence: a restful walk through nature or a quiet room with candle lighting. One of the best ways to get in touch with my own inspiration and inner voice is to just be quiet. Can you begin your day without the radio? Without the television? With a smile on your lips but no words coming out of them? You’ll be surprised what you can hear when you are not talking. Take a vow of silence for an hour or an afternoon.
Read. I also read Scripture. When I do, I read a short passage and then journal. Have you ever tried this? My method is to summarize on the page what I just read, then write a commentary, my “observations,” where I ask myself and pray, “How does this apply to me, right now, today?” I ask, and then I start writing whatever I’m thinking. Sometimes, I write, “Ok. I don’t get it.” But sometimes, I do “get it,” and the thoughts I have feel as if they are straight from God, or at least some translation of my own spirit’s voice. If you ever wondered how to read and make sense of the Bible, this is my recommendation.
Surround Yourself. In contrast to the silence or reading options, the other thing that feeds my spirit is the love and friendship of people. When I have friends around me, just their presence, whatever we may be doing, makes me feel connected. I am particularly content when I see my friends gathered together in my own home. So, believe it or not, my best resource for Spirituality, from my perspective, is not a meditation book, a CD of Tibetan chants, or a website for purchasing candles and bubble bath (though those are all good ideas…). It’s www.evite.com. Go ahead… pick a theme, and invite some people over to share your world. It’s a great way to remind yourself that your contribution to this world does matter, that you are not too tired to have friends, and that you are appreciated, after all. Surround yourself with a few of the people you love.
I have no doubt that you have strategies of your own for allowing your spirit to breathe. I’d love to hear them. And if you try any of my strategies, I’d love to hear about that, too! Happy connecting!

No comments:

Post a Comment